CRESSIDAMEALE@GMAIL.COM

Pages

Wednesday 12 May 2010

TIGHT JEANS, DOUBLE D'S, MAKIN' ME GO WHIT-WHOO



So, whilst speaking with a friend recently, an issue of particular contention came up. Bearing in mind this was Friday the 7th of May - there was a lot to discuss - it was nothing to do with any Con/Lib/Labs. This, my friends, was a hushed conversation about... double denim. Now, frankly, I thought this had all been dealt with circa 2008 when the whole 'cherry pie Americana' bandwagon swung around - evidently not. People have A LOT to say about this, not least the Guardian, whose readers, rather ironically I must add, left a ridiculous amount of comments on one article discussing the pro's and con's of the trend - labelling it: "Utter poverty of imagination" amongst other, frightfully clever things.

Fair enough, whether or not someone choses to wear two items of clothing, clap-hand-over-mouth, made of the same material, isn't exactly a Nobel Prize winning debate, however, the fact that this particular article made people so angry, in comparison with say the countless number on the correct distance of your skirt in centimetres from your upper knee, is interesting. Double denim winds people up for some reason. Personally, I don't really give a shit. If it works, it works. Hell, if you feel like go for triple or even quadruple. I suppose it's a kind of russian roulette decision - will it be a look that whispers 'effortlessly sexy' a la Chung, or will it scream 'I enjoy long walks up mountains no one's heard of and I have some soggy egg sandwiches in my bag, but LOOK, I'm still hip'.

Either way, it's a decision you'll have to make on your own. I like it, I might do it, but if I do I don't think I'll make it a conscious thought if you get me? I think it's like love, (soz about this) if you force it, it's naff and embarrassing, but if it just happens, you won't realise until you notice you're very happy.






Nobody Denim Boyfriend Fit Jeans, Twenty8Twelve Moores Denim Jacket, Levi's Superwashed Soft Denim Shirt all from:





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts?